Reactants, Products and Leftovers
- Chemical Reactions
- Limiting Reactants
Create your own sandwich and then see how many sandwiches you can make with different amounts of ingredients. Do the same with chemical reactions. See how many products you can make with different amounts of reactants. Play a game to test your understanding of reactants, products and leftovers. Can you get a perfect score on each level?
Sample Learning Goals
- Recognize that atoms are conserved during a chemical reaction.
- Use concrete everyday experiences (such as making sandwiches) to describe the what a limiting reactant means in chemical reactions.
- Identify the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction.
- Predict the products and leftovers after reaction, based on the quantities of reactants and ratios of molecules in the balanced chemical equation.
- Predict the initial amounts of reactants given the amount of products and leftovers using the concept of limiting reactant.
- Translate from symbolic (chemical formula) to molecular (pictorial) representations of matter.